Twila (Terrell) England                                                                        


(Bio submitted August 2007)         

 "You meet people who forget you. You forget people you meet. But sometimes you meet those people you can't forget. Those people are your friends."                                        ...Unknown

Wow! Where do I start?  To write 45 plus years into a few paragraphs will take some serious editing.

 I will begin by saying how thrilled I was to attend the recent get-together with former classmates…just the invitation to attend was a dream come true.   I have thought of so many of you so often throughout the years.  I attended  Shawswick School in grades 1-8 and  have the fondest memories of those years and the friends that I made while attending school there.

 In 1961, my family moved to Mitchell to be closer to my father’s work.  Some of us kept in touch for awhile and some of you came to visit.  I accepted the move until school began in the fall and reality set in…I was in a new school, away from my friends and I cried for weeks trying to convince my parents to move back…to no avail, of course.

 I finally accepted the fact, made new friends and enjoyed the years that I spent at Mitchell High School.  After graduation, I attended Vincennes University for two years majoring in Journalism.  While at VU, I served on the Editorial Board of the school newspaper, “The Trailblazer” and was named Assistant to the Editor in charge of production.   I was also a member of VU Women’s Bowling Team and had  the opportunity to compete against several colleges.  I must admit that this was more fun than writing articles for the newspaper.

 I returned home in the summer of ‘68, undecided if and where I would transfer to from VU.  Shortly after being home, I received a call to “sub” for a bowling team in a summer league…just so happens, I bowled that evening with Butch England,  a “friend” from high school.  We decided to go out after we finished bowling and now…39 years later,  we are still deciding what we are going to do next. 

 My aspirations to be some great reporter for the Associated Press faded quickly and I settled for working at the Mitchell Tribune and Bedford Times-Mail.   I met my final “deadline” when I gave birth to our twin daughters on what was to be my last day of work at the Times-Mail.  Our son was born two years later.

 In 1979, I completed certification  to become a Qualified Medication Aide (QMA) and worked at Mitchell Manor.  I enjoyed the work very much.   My second career choice had always been nursing and this was the closest thing to it for the time being.   Surprise!  I was expecting child #4.  Because of the ever-increasing demands of four children and my step-son’s decision to live with us while attending high school, I returned to being a stay-at-home mom.  We have since added 14 grandchildren to our “clan”…seven granddaughters and seven grandsons.

 For the past 11 years, I have leased the Village and Pool Concessions at Spring Mill State Park.   I also leased  the Camp Store for 5 years, but gave it up this past year.  I call it “semi-retirement.”  My husband worked as a signal maintainer for CSX (formerly B & O Railroad) for 30 years and retired in 2005.  He now works for me.  I have to constantly remind him that I am the CEO…just kidding, of course!

 My days are now filled with caring for my father who is ill, raising a nine year-old grandson, and helping my brother, Dan, who is running for Mayor of Mitchell.  In my spare time, I surf the internet.  It is a great escape!  If only, we would have had the internet forty-plus years ago, we might have been able to better stay in touch.  Gosh!…even calling Bedford from Mitchell was “long-distance” at that time! 

  Until we meet again, take really good care of yourself and Happy 60th  Birthday!  I hope we have many, many more!  You, “my friend,” have a special place in my heart.